Ultramarine Command Squad finished

All done. Calgar and 4 of his closest buddies, ready to take the field.

I have to admit, it feels like I've passed some rite of passage by painting my first Ultramarine model. Like it's official now, I play 40k.

These guys were fun to paint up. They were a bit of work to get ready for paint as most projects are I find but other than that, the amount of detail on them is great and they painted up fairly quick.

You can click on any of the pics in this post for a larger view, I made an effort to cut out the individual backgrounds and scale them up so you could see what I call "tabletop" painting.

Here's the intial post on these guys and here are some individual shots of the finished models.

This was my first time using the GW Asurmen blue wash. I gives some nice depth to the GW Ultramarine Blue base coat. A simple line highlight is all it took to finish them off.

I did learn how to paint Salamander Marine skin accidentally during this project. Quite a nice result from a simple combination of colors too. That and I realise now I have "formulas" for painting certain things. For example, I have a formula for painting leather. That kind of thing.

And despite the amount of detail on these guys, sometimes I think it's actually easier to paint models that have tons of detail on them than it is to paint models that are plain.

Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!


  1. Very nice Ron. This is one set of models apart from Calgar which I never got round to painting.

    Your talents have given them justice :)

  2. Really nice work, these are some cool looking models.

    Is there some Photoshop trick that allows you to cut out the backgrounds on the photos or is it as tedious as I imagine?


  3. Very nice work, Ron. I've come to love the Asurman blue wash as well...really helps to deeped the Ultra blue on my crimson fists!

    Out of curiosity, did you paint all of them at once or take it a model at a time? I find I love detailed models, but if I try to paint multiple detailed models in the same sitting, I lose my mind. There are only so many scrolls a man can paint in 1 night!

  4. *koh* Actually it's Marneus Calgar & his Honour guard.. *koh*

    Nice paint job anyhow. I can only envy your skill and hope that one day I can succumb my brush under my ike.

  5. In the days before Asurmen Wash, I used French Blue water color and flow release for the same effect on my Crimson Fists.

    I was really reluctant to start using GW washes. My first try with them over white for a water color Anime/ cell shaded pastel (Valkyria Chronicles) look was a disaster. Using that trick of grey craft paints underneath is a life saver. I just tried it on my Cyclops Savages for a fast leather effect.

    I might retry my Infinity Nomads again in that fast water color style.

  6. Some very nice Smurfs there, wow i can't belive i just said ''very nice'' and ''Smurfs'' in the same sentance.. i feel dirty now :(

  7. I love that banner- nice work.

  8. Very nice indeed. I want so badly to get my Ultramarine army finished. I've come to the unfortunate realization that I don't have as much hobby time as I'd like because my job is so demanding. :(

  9. Thanks guys.

    Simon: It is as tedious as you imagine but it goes fast once you get the hang of it.

    Cawshis Clay: Painted them one at a time but they went fast.

    Mika: Shows you how much I know.

  10. Wow, really great. Nice work, Ron.

  11. Amazing work as always, Ron. Also, nice to see the effect with Asurmen Blue (I'm looking to start a smurf army soon) and was wondering whether to use Asurmen or Badab Black.

  12. Good looking models.

    Come to the dark side. Join the BLOO...

  13. They are awesome, again great work as usual.

  14. Meh, you need to work on painting a bit cleaner...but overall not bad.


  15. They look really good Ron.

    I fancy my painting to be decent, but your skills make me a bit jealous.

    Keep up the good work

  16. Even your "tabletop standard" is awesome! Amazing stuff Ron!

  17. Love them. Can I ask how you got that awesome dried parchment look to the purity seals?

  18. Megapope: It's a brand-X tan color paint that I go over with GW Ogryn Flesh wash. After that, I add a bit of white to the mix and highlight as needed.


If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.