I got this small commission the other week from on of the guys at my FLGS. Wondering if I could get it done in time for Christmas, I told him I figured it wouldn't be too hard to do.
Even though I've never actually painted any "Ultramarines" before, I figured it couldn't be too tough, besides, it was just Command Squad.
As soon as I got the guys, I knew I was in for some work. The paint was thick and they needed to be properly cleaned of mold lines too.
Time for some paint stripping.
I use Dawn Power Dissolver exclusively for metal models and for most plastics too. I let each one sit overnight to really soak in and make getting the paint out of all the cracks much easier. It only took a little bit of scrubbing and some picking with an X-Acto blade to get all the paint off.
With the paint off, I collected some new bases and backpacks for the squad since the old ones weren't worth saving quite honestly. A litle bit of GW sand and they were ready to go.
I'm moving right along, I've got one guy done, sort of a "test model" to make sure they look alright.
My Client is happy and I'm working on the rest of the squad now. I'll have pics of the finished squad next week sometime.
Sometimes I forget how heavy metal minis are since all I have are plastic these days. But there's no doubt about it, these sculpts are really nice regardless of what they're made of.
UPDATE: Here's the link to the finished squad.