Old Stuff Day 2012, a sentimental look back


Image from the Old Stuff Day Project

I've been waiting all year for Old Stuff Day to finally arrive. Not that I had any idea what I was going to include in my post, but just because it's such a cool idea to stop for a minute and look back at what you've done over the past year.

So let's get to it!
Within the past year, I think the biggest thing for me was learning a few new techniques or better yet, finally taking the time to try them out and work through the processes. I've picked three that I think were some of my larger turning points if you will in my hobby work.

How to do zenithal highlighting
This was always something that scared me. I wanted to try this kind of painting/lighting for the longest time but always feared the amount of time work it involved. Sure, it's a bit more work, but the results are so much better in the end. If nothing else, I managed to teach myself a good bit about lighting on a model.

zenithal highlighting example

The original post: How to do basic zenithal highlighting

Related posts where I put this to use:
5-man Dark Angels Deathwing squad
Painting Ultramarines very fast
Painting Eldar Dire Avengers grim dark style

Using metallic weathering powders
This was a huge step for me in terms of weathering models and taking a step closer to getting the look I really like on my models. For the longest time this stuff sat on my desk unused as I figured it had no real place in my weathering arsenal. Then I sat down and put it to use. It's changed the way I paint.

weathering exhaust vents

The original post: Using metallic weathering powders

Related posts where I put this to use:
Black Dragon Veteran Sergeant
How to paint Necrons quickly

Participation in the Heroes of Armageddon Charity Project
This one is a no brainer. The chance to participate in a project like this can be a hobby-changing experience. Even though I only contributed one model this year, working with other hobbyists to create something bigger than all of us was a wonderful experience.

Link to the series: Participation in Heroes of Armageddon

Blood Angel Terminator

And that's it for this year. It was fun to look back through everything I've done and how the hobby has changed for me over the past 12 months. Picking out those few things was tougher than I thought it would be. There's so much I forget about and found myself saying, "Oh yea, I remember that," and smiling as I was going through the Archives this past week.


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!