Powders: The Verdict Part 2 of 2


If you're just getting here, check out Part 1 for an explanation of the experiment.

Prior to using the powders to weather the tanks, I did a few things to them in preparation. Step one was to apply an overall thinned wash on the model followed by a light drybrush highlight along the edges of the tank. This brought out the texture on the tank.

Then I went in and added the soot stains to the ends of barrels and picked out some small details on the models like vent screens, iconography, etc. Nothing crazy, just a detail here and there to break up the mass of armour plating.
I also made it a point to add spill stains and chipped armour along some edges.

Then it was powder time. I made sure I had all my powders out and ready to go so I could jump from one to another without having to stop and open a jar and so on. This meant I could keep working until I had the effect I wanted on the model.


Before any weathering at all


And after all the weathering was complete

And the second tank...


Before any weathering at all


And after all the weathering


I'd like to add one more thing to all of this. Both models were given a light spray with Testors Dull Cote after being weathered. This was for two reasons. To protect the model and "seal" the powders so they don't come off and could be handled. I will say that coating them toned down the effect of the powder, but this was probably a good thing for me since I most likely went a bit too far initially.

All in all, a huge success for me. I know for sure that I'll be adding this little trick to my painting from here on out.
I'd like to thank misterjustin for his help on this as well. He took the time to answer all of my emails even when I asked the same question for the tenth time or simply told him I was going to do what I wanted despite his advice.

So if you have the means and you're looking to add an incredible realism to your models with just a little bit of effort, powders are the way to go.


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!