Forge World Bloodthirster started


With the completion of the other seven Bloodthirsters in the Apocalypse formation, it's time to start work on the big Forge World guy. Once I get some pics of the other seven, I'll post them like I've done with my Space Hulk terminators.


I had to work on the floor with this guy. I was on a roll and fortunately, my Wife loves me enough that she doesn't mind if I ruin my little carpet square I have in my work area.
All in all, he went together fairly easy, He's got lots of little spikey bits that are a pain, but that's how they cast him so there's no getting around it really. The biggest challenge with this guy is transporting him. He's about the size of a basketball when assembled. That's huge for 40k and he would pretty much need his own carrying case which would be a giant pain in the backside.


At first I thought about magnetizing the wings to make him manageable but after looking at the joints and seeing the sheer size of each wing, I elected to go with pinning them. Instead of using just one pin at each joint, I went with two smaller pins together for the wings and hands. The wings actually have three pins in each wing. There is a pair at the top and a single one at the bottom.
It took this much to get the stability I wanted for gameplay. Pinning like this allows me to remove them for transporting and this guy breaks down into a few manageable pieces instead of one monstrosity.

The trade off for being able to disassemble him for transport is that you can almost see gaps between his wings and body if you get up close and look really hard. A small price to pay I figure for being able to transport him without fear of damaging him.


And here he is primed and drying. I still need to assemble the whip but other than that, he's ready for paint. And yes, that is one of the regular-sized Bloodthirsters (on a 60mm base) under his wing.

I'm planning on painting him up this coming weekend.

My Project Link: Bloodthirster Bloodbath


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!