Adeptus Custodes tactical squad finished


So here are a couple of the finished Custodes. The powerfist Sergeant doesn't have his banner yet, I'm still working on it.

I kept the palette very simple and limited with my client's permission. Instead of the usual black primer, I got the go ahead to use a rich, dark brown. This brown is left in the recesses and blends in with the reds and golds on the model and doesn't darken/dull everything down as much as a black primer would have.

The main wash for the model is Devlan Mud. It's dark enough that it adds some contrast to both the red tabards and the gold plating on his armour.

On the metal areas, I added a small amount of Asurmen Blue to some Badab Black to give the metal a different look. Skin and purity seals got a wash of Ogryn Flesh.

The base is grey with a lighter shade highlight. I chose grey because it contrasts against all the warm colors of the model and really sets it off I think.

For the highlighting, I went back with the original gold and cleaned up the main aras and then added an overhead source highlight to the model with a much lighter gold.

Since a few people asked, I emailed my friend and asked him what bits he used in building these guys...

"I used two boxes of normal tactical marines for the bodies. I bought high elf spears that I shaved down and put bolters on to give me the gun/spears of the custodes; and high elf helmets that I cut off a little of the top so that the topknots would fit well. I then bought 20 ork boy top knots for the top of the helmets. Then used green stuff for the collars and the capes. I hope that helps, if you need any other information, let me know. I also had a "eagle" space marine captain shoulder pads that some of the custodes has. As well as one of the custodes seargents have a "eagle" backpack that I got from a space marine captain."

My Project Link: Follow my Custodes Project


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!