Grey Knight Terminator half helmet conversion


I've always thought this half-helmeted conversion was a cool look. It really only worked with Grey Knight Terminators though due to the way their helmets were constructed. This one was done to a metal model which was tough to do, but now that the new plastics are out, this conversion should be a piece of cake to pull off.

The idea originally came from the back of the old Daemonhunters codex. There's a model done by John Blanche that has this conversion done to it. I swore I would do it to one of my models one day if I had the chance. When I had the opportunity to build a few Grey Knight terminators a while back, I knew I had to try this out.

Using the old metal models made it tough to do, but not impossible. Some careful filing and test fitting until I had both parts married together. The new plastic pieces should make the fitting much easier.

The key is cutting away enough of the head
You need to cut a way a good portion of the head and leave really only the nose upward showing. Even then, you cut off the bottom of the nose as well. You want this guy to be peering over the bottom portion of his face mask.

The lower portion of his helmet is much higher than a normal collarpiece would be and covers a good bit more of his face. Make sure to leave the back helmet vents in place as they frame out the top of the head nicely and give the illusion that the head is set down in there. You may have to cut away a small portion of the back of the head to get it to fit on there, but that should be no problem.

And you can do this with just about any bare head out there. Having hair on there might be a bit tough to pull off, but any bare head should work just fine.

Make sure to check out these posts as they might help:
How to paint power weapon lightning effects
How to build a Terminator Chaplain skull helmet


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!

21 comments:

  1. hey! again , not a 40 k fan here.. but i do like ur blog, ur very creative!! nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The John Blanche model was a red-painted Grey Knights Terminator (page 48 under the 'Showcase' section) of the old Daemonhunters codex a.k.a. '2nd' ed GK codex. I still have that book!

    I would argue because of the cooler shade of colour scheme, your conversion looks better (the half-head 'pops' out more).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the best inspirational books on this matter is Visions of Heresy - great artwork and so many helmets I would love to make :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing work there Ron.

    You want to do me half a dozen, right?

    RIGHT?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anvil Industry sells Grilled heads which are very similar to the Hal-helmet look you want.

    However, I'm gosh-darn certain the person that did this conversion made a guide alongside it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great, I really do think that its the head that makes a model look "right". nice work Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a simple yet effective conversion, Ron! As always, fantastic job!

    I agree with Menzies Tank that your paintjob is more suited to the model than JB's: I actually had to go and double check in Codex Witchhunters that the model actually has a half-helmet: It had never occured to me before, due to the rather busy paintwork.

    On a related note, a very similar technique can be used on old Dark Eldar parts to convert pretty convincing Sisters of Silence helmets:

    http://eternalhunt.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/sos-2.jpg?w=450

    http://eternalhunt.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/sos-4.jpg?w=450

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron, that looks great! What do you use to cut with? Dremel?

    ReplyDelete
  9. dancing platypuss: Thanks!

    Menzies Tank: You bring up a good point about the contrast of the cool armour and warm skin tones. Painting it today (knowing what I know now), I would have pushed that effect further for the contrast.

    Zaphod Beeblebrox: Absolutely!

    Faolan (Jake): I've got one and that's plenty for me. I can't be responsible for the urge to make a unit like this.

    Narric: I haven't seen those heads yet. As for the picture above... I never made a tutorial for it since it's an older model of mine. I thought I might dig it up and finally share it. If I had a plastic helmet, I would have tried it on a new one myself again.

    james fenton: Thanks. It's a focal point on most models and I try to add as much detail there as possible since I cut corners elsewhere.

    KrautScientist: Nice work digging up the Sisters of Silence reference there.

    Green Stuff Industries: Thanks. The bulk of the cutting was done with an X-Acto blade and the fine tuning was done with a file until both halves married up perfectly.




    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh that's pretty cool I happen to be building some Terms right now I will just have to try this.. =P

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such an inspiration, i am very glad i keep checking this place so often. manly love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no Ron, I hold you personally responsible for all urges you cause me to have.

    It's not MY fault, it's yours. And society, of course. But never me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drkmorals: Let me know how it goes if you're using the new plastics.

    Anon and Man Boy Genius: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha i did the same thing a while ago (to a pair of GK) , i think youd like it ^__^

    GK brother captain/ banner paladin
    http://fuzzbuket.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/grey-knight-banner-bearer.html

    GK MORDAK.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XFARRRaJ_aE/TlVjsUTBm6I/AAAAAAAAAnY/RXHz6SF8Iog/s728/DSCN5923.JPG


    -fuzz

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a really original idea, I'm going to use it to build my BT Marshall's head. :D Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dangermouse425: I could see this conversion on a Templar Marshal. It would fit their theme pretty well I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The building is now the new watchword for construction around the world.
    www.logoworkgloves.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been messing around with this technique since reading this article. Here some of my initial progress.

    http://www.standardtemplateconstruct.net/2012/09/updates-from-work-bench-grey-knight.html

    ReplyDelete

If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.