FTW studio destroyed by severe warp storm



You read it right, the studio has been destroyed. Not by my own doing, but an act of nature this time. This past week or so has seen an intense heat wave come through my area. This was followed up by some incredibly severe thunderstorms on Sunday night (June 8th). Out of the thunderstorm that swept through my area, a tornado or microburst spawned and crossed right over my neighborhood.

Point of interest: Sunday night was my ten year wedding anniversary.
Really looking forward to 25th anniversary now.

The red arrow is where my studio is located was. You can't see the top ten feet or so of the tree that is inside the house from this picture. We didn't even know it was coming either. I was upstairs in my studio not five minutes before this happened, I only came down because my Wife called me downstairs.

The tree seen in the picture is only the top half of the tree. The bottom half is still in the ground just over fifty feet away in the backyard. The wind was strong enough to snap the top half off and carry it the fifty feet over to the house and throw it through the roof. The side wall of house was pushed out slightly as well. And by slightly, I mean like three feet or so.

Everyone is alright (dog included) and that's the important thing.
The house can be fixed and things can be replaced with insurance.

So what happens now
Now I start the long road of getting my house fixed up. We have power back to most (almost half) of the house so far. Internet and phone work now too (although the phone was dead for most of the day). The affected portion of the house is in the process of being gutted and dried out. There was a tremendous amount of water damage since it was raining and every last bit of it came into the house. There is a good bit of structural damage too. It's not good when every expert who comes to look at the damage says, "Whoa, that's bad." I tell them I know that already.

But what about the studio you're wondering
Well, I have to get that portion of the house rebuilt before I can put the studio back together. That's going to take me a couple weeks if all goes real well. In the mean time, I'm limited in what I can do both in resources and in time.

1. Email will be limited. I will do my best to reply, but it may take me a couple days. I will reply if you email me, just please be patient. Today is the first day I've been able to get online to reply to emails and post this.

2. I have a handful of posts that are ready to go for the most part and instead of posting three times a week, I'm going to shoot for once a week on Wednesdays.

3. If I have something of yours, I still have it, I just don't know where it's at right now and what shape it's in. If it's broke though, I promise I'll fix it.

And most importantly of all
A huge thank you to everyone for their support in helping us get through this. There has been a tremendous outpouring of support while we get everything back together. My Wife is really enjoying all the quality time we are spending together now that I'm right under her feet all day long in the house.

If you would like to help me get things back up and running, I've included a "Help Support FTW" button over there in the right column. The bills for this kind of thing come in faster than the money does and every little bit is appreciated. All the money will go entirely into getting the studio back together. I may even be able to sport for a chair so I don't have to stand anymore.

Thank you everyone!

UPDATE: July 11
I want to thank everyone for their support! You all are a second family and are a huge help in getting through this. As of today, it's a steady flow of contractors coming into the house and truckloads of trash going out. I haven't even gotten to my hobby stuff yet, we are still checking things like electrical, HVAC, structural components and such.

UPDATE: July 13
The tree has been removed and the affected parts of the house are being gutted. We're doing our best to make sure the water damage doesn't result in mold later on. Things are finally starting to slow down some, but we still don't have power in half of the house and we have to eat outside since our kitchen has had everything removed.

UPDATE: July 14
More water damage was found in the kitchen and upstairs today (further away than originally estimated). My biggest worry now is that forecasted thunderstorms are going to cause even more problems for us this weekend. I've done my best to secure the tarp over half of the house (literally), so we'll so how my work holds up.

UPDATE: July 16
We had a few more strong thunderstorms come through the area in the past two days that resulted in some additional water damage. It means more ceiling has been removed and more work to repair. Looks like everything upstairs will need to be moved into a storage unit for the next couple weeks while they redo the roof and the upstairs of the house. I just wish we could get this all fixed quickly.


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. It may take me a couple days right now, but I will reply. Thanks!

82 comments:

  1. Ron, that is terrible!

    However its a great opportunity to remake the studio - better, faster, stronger!

    Good luck getting through it and sounds like you are on the right track already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for everything you have done for the community!

    If you need any specific hobby supplies or replacements just ask!

    I am just so thankful that no one was hurt.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everyone's safe Ron.

    -Reece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, Ron! I'm extremely glad no-one was hurt, that could have been a major tragedy (not that it isn't in its own right).

    I hope that you can get things back up and running soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,
    I am glad everyone is ok. Good luck on your repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're ok!
    Hope you get a good contractor that will get the studio up & running quickly. We'll miss your frequent posting until then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The important thing is everyone is safe. I'm sure you can lean on the community if you need, I know I'm more than happy to help in any way I can, just say the word and I'll try and help as much as I can from my corner of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad to see that that happened to you.
    At least everyone is safe.
    Good luck with the repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, good thing your wife rolled the look out sir save! But congrats on the 10 years and good luck with the repairs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that it hit the house, glad it missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate to hear that Ron, but relieved to know that everyone is safe!
    I'll echo the ones above me, if you need something, give us a shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear, Ron. But I am sure glad that you and the family are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm relieved and happy that everyone is safe (dog included). I don't think anyone is worried about the state of their stuff in your possession (It's just stuff and can be replaced)

    I hope clean-up is as quick and painless as possible for you so you can get back to doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That really sucks dude,the main thing is no one was injured (except for maybe a few plastic guys?). Didn't you jokingly say recently that you set about destroying your studio? And congratulations on 10 years of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you and the fam. are ok, wish I was closer to come over and help....

    hang in there, also now is a good time to get over to the game store and get a few games in.

    stupid trees....

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is terrible news Ron, I am glad to hear everyone is ok and wish you the best from myself and the rest of the crew at DFG.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad everyone is alright. That is a pretty awful disaster. Best of luck getting everything put back together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you're alright man! Nature is always unpredictable! Now, get that studio back together and keep putting out some amazing miniatures!

    Granesh
    Smells Like Wargaming

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you and your family are ok. Hope you get things fixed up without any issues!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad everyone and the dog is OK. On the plus you now get a sparkly new studio!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a crazy situation... Good timing on the part of your wife calling you out of the studio! Good timing indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no, what a desaster!

    Good to hear that no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's good everyone's OK!
    Wish you luck in repairing your house and the studio!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its good to hear everyone is okay.

    ogre

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gods damn! I am constantly grateful that I live in a country WITHOUT extremes of weather. That is dreadful but so, so glad that no-one was hurt. Perhaps we of the blogosphere can put together some Instructable type posts that you can put up to keep content flowing and the site ticking over?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry to hear about your house. But as said before, thing are replaceble, and the important thing is that everyone is safe. Good luck in fixing the house again and congratualtions for the 10 year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The photos do not make it look that bad, but if that is only part of the tree that struck your house...! Just glad you were not in there and no one got hurt... that is always the most important thing! I will keep my fingers crossed for you on the repair front.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey glad u and your family , dog included r ok!.. and i could tell u things happend for a reason and blablabla.... but not... sometimes life sucks ans hits u baad... best defense? face it with a smile ;)( of course some good donations will help too)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad everyone is safe Ron, times like this impress me how powerful nature can be. Good luck with the repairs and hope your up and running again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry to hear about the damage and I'm glad noone was hurt. I hope that the rebuilding goes as smoothly as these things can.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad to hear everyone is safe. Hope the re-build goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Donating. And I third the comment that its good everyone is ok! I also second the comments "stupid trees".

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad you and the family are ok Ron, as you say, that's the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Damn, that's some bad luck. Glad everyone's doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Whoa, that sucks! Then again, good to hear you're all safe!

    About your wedding anniversary, you should think about it like this: If you didn't have a wife, you'd probably have been mouldering away in the mancave all night, so you'd probably be dead right now. That adds a bit of perspective, doesnt it? ;-)

    Anyway, hope the repairs will go well! I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that some of your stuff may yet be saved!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ron I am so sorry to hear this mate? unreal! So pleased that you and the family are ok, looks like fate intervened to call you down! your wife is a hero mate!
    Thinking of you
    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  37. Man thats some serious bad luck, but glad you're all doing fine. Good luck getting everything fixed, hopefully won't take long or involve any problems=]

    ReplyDelete
  38. Glad to hear that everyone's ok Ron! I hope everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Glad to hear that everyone's OK.

    -- Jon

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your weather patterns sound the exact same as mine here in the southeast. You know my gameroom storm damage woes from last year, all I can say is that I know what you're going through, flood and all. Check references on those contractors and get time estimates as well as dollar amounts. I feel for you man, like you said though, it's just "stuff" I'm glad you and the fam (dog included) are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sorry to hear about the damage, man. Glad to hear that everyone's okay, and we'll keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That's a right bugger.

    Glad everyone is ok (including the dog).

    RIP old studio. Looking forward to seeing the new studio.

    ReplyDelete
  43. That's pretty scary, so glad that you are all OK, especially as it was such a narrow escape for you.

    Good luck in getting things all back together and put right, looking forward to seeing the new studio - just remember, you now have an excuse to design it just the way you want.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Best of wishes in your repairs and I hope you get everything back up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Well at least real life got more exciting than the Horus Heresy for a bit there:0 Let me know if you need and hobby supplies replaced and I can ship them out to you. Good luck with the contractors and insurance because that stuff is infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Luckily it's only material damage, everybody is still in one piece and that's what really counts! Best of luck with the rebuild!

    ReplyDelete
  47. "Now I start the long road of getting my house fixed up."

    That's gonna take a LOT of green stuff. ;)

    Glad everyone's okay, and congrats on the ten years!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ron, I'm so sorry to hear about this, but as others said, I'm really glad no one was hurt.

    I just made a small donation, and I encourage everyone who reads this post to do the same.

    Give back to the man who gives so much to the mini painting community!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Ron, that's crazy! I'm happy you guys made it through unscathed. I'd like to offer any assistance I can.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Holy Crap! Well at least everyone is safe. Best of luck with repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Crapola. Say, given your extremely broad (and extremely thankful) reader base, why don't you consider doing a Kickstarter project to cover whatever you need to get things back together? You might even be able to get enough together to make it better!

    ReplyDelete
  52. That's some scary stuff Ron. I'm very glad you and yours are okay. Like you said, the rest can be sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Mate - not good news. Like being kicked in the multi meltas.

    Hope things straighten out for you soon. I know your hobby mojo will come back stronger than ever.

    TUZ

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ouch. Good luck with the rebuild, glad everyone's in one piece! Hope you didn't lose any minis to the tree attack.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Ron, really glad everyone's safe, now I hope you all stay sane! Hopefully the renovation will be completed smoothly and quickly.

    P.S. Have you thought about converting that tree?

    ReplyDelete
  56. Ron

    So sorry to read this - but glad everyone is ok!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  57. "Gentlemen: we can rebuild it - we have the technology..."

    Sorry to hear about this, Ron, but glad you and yours are well. The hobby will return forthwith...

    ReplyDelete
  58. Thoughts are with you guys. The last time we had trees do damage to our street we got lucky but everyone else suffered. The joiners loved my neighbours after that :S

    ReplyDelete
  59. Glad to hear everyone is alright and the only damage is to something that can be rebuilt :)

    Congrats also to you and your wife, sir.

    Stay safe and will wait with baited breath for more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  60. So does this mean there will be no wood elves tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Glad to know you and your family are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  62. I had no idea you were over there. It's amazing your wife called you down just before. I can't even imagine hearing a crash and then looking for all the family members (4 legged included) to make sure they're safe. I'm glad you're all okay. Check your msn email account please.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I'm glad you're OK Ron, but even more happy that the dog made it through.

    ReplyDelete
  64. AS many others have pointed is good to know that you were called downstairs early that day and your whole family is safe, I hope you manage to raise from the debris with a better studio. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  65. That sucks but you just have to keep positive.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I've only been following the blog for a short time, but it's already had a huge (don't say "impact") effect on my desire to advance my hobby skills. Sorry that this happened to you, and I'll do what I can to return a small portion of the enjoyment this blog has given me. Thanks again for all the hard work, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Ouch that looks bad dude, as long as everyone isn't hurt that's the main thing. Here's to a speedy recovery for your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Glad everybody is all ok. Awesome blog, very helpful with some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  69. thats rough luck, Ron, and its good that no-one was hurt! hope its not too long a process to get everything sorted..

    ReplyDelete
  70. That sucks ass,same thing happened to my pool but it was the nieghbors tree and act of God and all that.
    Needless to say I sweat alot more now (no pool)
    If you need any hobby stuff not just GW stuff but the wierder stuff that we use alot of(g/s plaster,plasticard/rod.
    Shoot me a line with what you need,I'll see if I can help.
    Good luck with the house,life should be backto normal in a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  71. A big disgrace, Ron, but luckily you weren´t affected in the storm...

    Will be hard to recover from this, but you have all our support!!

    ReplyDelete
  72. oh man, that's horrible :( hope you get back on your feet soon!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Wow - thats terrible Ron. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Tornadoes (or whatever that was) are a very scary prospect - just glad no one was in the room when the tree fell. I used to live in the DFW area, and Ive seen full 18 wheelers picked up and moved several thousand feet.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Hey Ron.

    Just came across this bit of news today mate. I'm glad you and yours are fine and in good health. Like you said material stuff can be bought again or rebuilt. Be assured our best wishes and good willing are with you mate.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Those mysterious terrain rolls really suck.

    But seriously dude, really gutted for you. But glad no one got hurt, hope you get back on your feet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Man, I'm so terribly sorry to hear that. Okay, I'm really late, but I've just dropped by.

    Glad to hear that everybody's all right. My wife and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Thanks for the updates, Ron. Hope things get back to the way they were sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Sucks, man. I'm glad that your people are okay. Stuff can be replaced; people, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Ron!

    I posted it into my own web blog... hope you are lucky and some spaniard fellows donate and help!!

    Good luck!

    You know you have all our support!

    ReplyDelete
  80. My house flooded a few times when I was younger. Destroyed a whole lot of my Magic cards. I feel for you and I hope you get everything sorted out. This will give you a good opportunity to redesign your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Hope you get back on your feet quickly, your articles are like e-crack.

    ReplyDelete

If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.