Do you even need to buy Imperial Aeronautica?


The other week, I talked about how excited I was about the upcoming Imperial Aeronautica book. It promised updated rules for lots of flyers along with two new flyers as well. As I was going through one of the larger forums out there, I found a thread that put it in a different perspective.

All of the rules for everything other than the two new Imperial flyers (The Space Marine Storm Eagle and the Avenger fighter) are already out there along with their updates. That's right, the rules have already been published for the flyers in the previous Forge World books and Forge World themselves have recently released a whole set of updates to bring their stuff in line with the new edition.

Sure the book might have some additional rules that add some "cool" aspects to flyers, but I don't know how "official" they'll be. The official part never bothered me before, but if I already own the rules and Forge World has put out their 6th edition updates on their site, do I really need to buy all the same material over again?


I've already got the rules for this beauty

So I went looking to see what I could find.
I already own the previous Imperial Armour books and I suspect that if you're a huge Forge World fan like me, you've probably already picked up the one or two books that relate to your army as well. Maybe you've got IA3, The Taros Campaign since you're a huge Tau fan or IA4, The Anphelion Project since you love Tyranids. The point is, if you've already got the one or two Forge World books that have info on your army, you've got everything in the new Aeronautica book already.

So what are you to do?
I think I'm going to pass on this one for now. I've already got the Marine flyer rules and the free Forge World updates. I may get the book later on for the artwork and background info, but I'm not rushing out to pick this one up.

If you're looking for the free Forge World vehicle updates, they can be found on their site and I've got a copy of them here as well.

Download the Forge World 6th Edition vehicle updates

While I don't think the book is a complete waste, I am kinda bummed that it won't have more new stuff in it and it's really just a collection of stuff that's already out there.

Make sure to check out these posts as they might help:
Imperial Aeronautica and the new air war
Thoughts on building your own Imperial Avenger Strike fighter
The Storm Eagle and adding flyers to your army


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!