My last post about liquid greenstuff found me saying it has limited uses. I stand by my thoughts and managed to use it successfully the other day for one of those very specific uses.
In the process of prepping the FW Deathwing Dreadnought I'm working on, I found a few more surface imperfections after priming it. The big one was the back side of the inferno cannon canister. While it's on the back of the model, it's being painted to high standard and it would be terribly unprofessional of me to leave the surface pitted.
I hadn't noticed it until I got some primer on it. I guess the light had been just right or I'd overlooked it in each of my passes looking for problems. Regardless, it had to be fixed before moving on.
In my previous post, I'd said I believe that this stuff is only good for minor surface imperfections. Well, since that's what I had here, I decided to try it before I broke out the old school greenstuff.
I went heavy in my applications. It ended up taking two passes to fill in all the surface problems. I applied the first pass, let it cure completely, gently filed away the excess and then repeated the whole process.
It took a little longer than it would have if I'd gone in with the old school greenstuff, but it did work well and I managed to work on other stuff while waiting for my liquid GS to cure between applications. In the end, it worked perfectly. A gentle filing of the surface once it cured left the liquid GS undisturbed in the recessed areas and I didn't have to worry about "wiping it away" with anything damp.
Like I said, this stuff is good, but it's limited.
In the right cases, it can make fixing a problem fairly painless. Even if it takes a few minutes longer in the end.
And for a sneak peak, here's where the model stands right now.
Pics of the finished model will go up Monday.
Make sure to check out these posts as they might help:
Cleaning mold lines, how I go about it
Modifying Space Marine arm positions
A quick look at liquid greenstuff