Chaos Lord completely rebuilt

Chaos Lord conversion greenI started this guy a while ago and I've finally been able to get him rebuilt. He came to me already a finished model and my Client wanted a face lift.

I stripped the model, cleaned it up and rebuilt it from the ground up.

Now I'm ready for paint.
But let's take a look at how I got here.

We went through a number of heads. From a terminator head (which didn't look right), to other types of heads from Fantasy all the way back to taking the original head and cleaning it up. That meant removing the vents and horn and resculpting the armour plates. Not an easy task.

After that, we resculpted the shoulderpads to add some new iconography to the model. A nice touch in the end.

Perhaps the biggest problem of all was the pair of ammo feeds that connected the guns attached to his wrists to his backpack.

Chaos Lord resculpting ammo feedsAt first, I thought I could sculpt the individual feeds out of greenstuff, let them cure and then bend them into position.

This might have worked had the angle not been so sharp and I didn't have to leave room for the wings to mount to the backpack as well. It turns out I couldn't bend the greenstuff into the correct position without breaking it at the joints.

Then I thought I could cut each individual section of the ammo feed out and rebuild the whole feed in the position I wanted. Another wash since I ended up with too much space between each segment of the feed.

Greenstuff sculpting ammo feeds

The answer was to build them and sculpt them in place. Not what I wanted to do originally, but I had no choice in the end. If you know of another method, please don't say anything... I need to feel like I solved this one all on my own.

I rolled out a length of greenstuff, flattened it to the correct size/shape and pressed it into position. Getting it into position was tough because the element floats and has no surface that it's up against for support. I had to let my greenstuff cure for about 15 to 20 minutes and then fit it into place.

Very carefully I etched in the joints between each segment of the ammo feed while it was hanging there. After each joint, I'd have to reposition the whole piece ever so slightly to get it back where it needed to be.

Greenstuffed ammo feeds complete

And the end result. Not too bad if I say so myself. They'll do the job just fine with all the other elements in position in the end. A little paint and they'll look the part perfectly.

And now for some pics of the model as he stands now. I know he is missing one blade from his right hand. I lost it at some point. I have no clue where it's at. I have to build a new one to replace it now since I wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was doing.

Chaos lord conversion front view

Chaos lord conversion left side view

Chaos lord conversion back view

Chaos lord conversion right side view

Now all that's left is to paint this guy. I'll be using the original model as a guide, but trying for a darker, grittier look to him. Kind of like the Librarian I completed recently. The strong overhead light, high contrast, etc. We'll see how he comes out.

Follow my Project: Chaos Lord Restoration

Make sure to check out these posts as they might help:
How to sculpt shoulderpad icons
Stripping paint from models

Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!


  1. Sometimes building things in place is the only way. If theres a next time you could always try using a bit of wire to help give it more stability while you sculpt?

    Nice job as always, the wings and the shoulder pads are particularly improved. Personally I like side horns on chaos helmets!

  2. Nice conversion as always and a really great use of the Old Dark Eldar Blades! I thought they were all but useless at this point...but you proved me wrong :P

  3. That is awesome. I await the final painted model.

  4. Thanks guys.
    I'm going to see how much painting I can get done on him this weekend. I should be able to at least get the black portion of his armour done.

  5. Inserting a length of wire inside the roll should be just enough to keep the shape even after breaking of joints. Copper is good as it bends easily and keeps its shape.

  6. lehcyfer: that was the plan at first. Unfortunately, the individual blocks end up touching at one corner and being wide open at the other end as I make the bend.

    By sculpting them, you can alter their shape slightly so that the gap between each joint is consistent and doesn't draw any attention.

    I suspect I could have positioned them initially, let them cure completely, broken them off and cut in each joint. Then glued them back in place. Might have worked better in the end.

  7. i seen some details in the pic that are not so good. but so far this is good. keep it up!

  8. apron bib: We're getting there.
    As I work with my Client, we're getting the finer points ironed out.


If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.