Obviously these guys are painted black. In this case, I went with a nice clean edge highlight and it's going to be the route I go with my Deathwing unless I discover some new fancy method to use between now and when I start painting in a couple months. With all my recent experimenting, it's a highly refined version of my very first approach.
I covered their bases in an earlier post and I like to think I did a pretty good just of emulating the resin base I had to work with in the beginning.
I like to think I managed to avoid the dreaded Christmas tree effect as well with their red bolters and green shoulderpad trim. I kept both colors somewhat muted to go with the dark armour overall and I think they stand out just enough, but don't contrast so much as to draw undue attention to them.
I think the light basing really helps set the models off too. The bases were kept light overall and don't have any real dark areas. They're an exact opposite to the models themselves since they are lacking any real super bright highlights.