These guys belong to a friend of mine who has had me do a substantial amount of work for him. They are part of his DIY Space Marine Chapter. In this case, it was two dreadnought torsos and eleven arms so he could mix and match them as needed.
I talked about the work that had to be done to one of the dreads in my previous post on magnetizing them.
Here you get to see how they look all painted up. I added the detail to the torsos and not the arms for this project because I didn't want to end up with arms that were detailed but didn't look right on the model. Keeping the arms clean and focusing on the torso allows my Client to mix and match without having to worry about how the dread looks on the field.
The bases are from Secret Weapon Miniatures and are part of the Flagstone series. This is the same line we used in the Storm Wardens project. Once they were released in beveled edge, I was sold.
I painted them to match the rest of the army and added static grass on the portions of the bases that would normally have moss growing on them. It was the perfect outline for me to follow.
This guy was painted up and I stole the front panel idea from the GW site when they posted the new model a while ago. They had one version with the front panels white and weathered. I loved the look of that model and tried to do the same thing here. The weathering is subtle and I think that's what I like most about it.
This guy was rescued from certain doom. Now that he's all painted up, he looks a little more battle ready. I like the wings on the sides, they aren't something you see often unless you're using a Forge World dreadnought. A simple solution with nice results and that's a win by my standards.
And this pic here... I'm stepping up my painting. A huge thanks to John at Santa Cruz Warhammer and Justin from Secret Weapon, these two guys have got me using higher quality brushes and it makes it much easier for me to get more and finer detail on models in the same time I would have spent on them before without all the detail.
In the examples above though, it's more about variety. When you're painting 11 arms, you try and make them a little different. I've decided to alter the way I paint my assault cannon barrels now. Instead of the standby "soot stained" look, I've moved up to more of a heated metal look. A combination of the Asuremen Blue wash followed by Gryphonne Sepia gives the metal that color range it gets from being heated.
The caution stripes were a must have on the other arm. This thing (and I don't even know what it does exactly) just looks dangerous. I figured the caution striping and some battle damage would make this arm look even more imposing.
My Project Link: Space Marines Commission