Cities of Death Cathedral: Part 3 of 3, Final


Image from GW. Very often, what we want is not what we end up with.

For those who have been watching, the past couple weeks have seen me posting the progress of my Cities of Death Cathedral I started over a year ago. While it didn't take an actual year of work time to build, I did finally manage to get it completed.

The concept post is here
The WIP shots post is here.

I will say unfortunately that I was not able to add all of the little details I'd planned from the beginning. I like to think that's for the best though. I had some great ideas, but they would have made the piece a bit more difficult to maintain and possible make it less gamer friendly. Lots of little details that would have broken easily you know. It would have ended up more like a diorama and less like a piece of terrain.

In the end, I am happy with it, and I think the players that go out on a limb and use are happy with it as well. If nothing else, it's a great visual element that helps bring you into the 40k universe while you're playing your game.

It's rested in it's unpainted state for a while at my FLGS in the back room and here it is painted. Enjoy the pics, you can click on any of them for a larger version.

I used my old Deathwing army in the pics to give you an idea of the scale of this thing.











Thanks for all the comments on this project folks. It's good to know things like this are appreciated. I'm a huge fan of using lots of terrain and I think it really brings the game to life along with fully painted models.

You might be amazed to know that I've heard just as many people say it's (the cathedral) no good because of this reason or that reason as I've heard people say they like it. Goes to show you that you can't please everyone and you've just got to build what you think is cool and what you want to play on.


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!