Remember all those WIP shots? Well here's the end result.
I used my new "fancy" brushes on this guy and I have to say, they were quite a pleasure to use. They helped me get better line quality overall. I've had to adjust my painting style (how I hold my brush slightly) with the new ones, but other than that, it's been business as usual with them. They are holding up much better than the other brushes I've had/been using before and that's a pleasant change.
I find that I am able to get get much finer detail with the new brushes without much trouble where I would have struggled before. This allows me to add more detail in the same time it would have taken me just to do the basics before.
But... as for the model, the color scheme was given to me, all I had to do was reproduce it. As with all black armoured models, I find it's not the black that carries the model, but how you paint the rest of the details.
I tried to add a bit of variety to the base as well with some subtle color changes instead of just drybrushing light grey over dark grey. It's actually a resin base from Dark Art Miniatures and I added a couple pieces of bark to simulate the broken and charred wood he was standing on.