MK1 Deathwing Land Raider completed

So I finished my first Land Raider for my Deathwing this last weekend.
I know, suprise! Deathwing with a Land Raider!

My technique translates over to vehicles, but it's not as "clean" looking as infantry models. Of course it's not really clean to begin with. This approach isn't going to win any awards by a long stretch but it's grown on me.
It definitely works by the "3 foot rule."

Maybe because it takes no time to do, maybe it's a little more painterly and not so refined as most of my other work I do. I don't really worry while I'm painting these guys. And making quick progress helps keep me motivated to finish the force.

Nonetheless, I cranked this thing out in no time and it fits right in with the dirty look the rest of the army has.

I want to get the army fully painted before I really start playing with it. There's just something about using non-painted models I don't like.

And as a side note, my Belial in Pre-Heresy armour made it into The Dark Fortress Gallery. The pics and write up there make him look even better. If you're a Dark Angels fan, the site is definitely worth checking out.

Additional related links:
Deathwing Collected Wisdom
How I paint my Deathwing
Dipping Deathwing by Santa Cruz Warhammer

Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!


  1. Wow! The technique translates very nicely to the Land Raider! Can't wait to see the Dreads.

  2. Wow, this one looks great Ron, and with subtle upgrades, it doesn't look 'dated' in the slightest.

    Remember when these things used to come two to a box? And we had to walk five miles to school, in the snow, uphill?

  3. Hudson: I started on one of the Dreads last night. I have high hopes for him.

    Mik: I only did as much as I had to so they're tabletop ready. It's a theme I'm sticking with... the bare minimum.

  4. Old school with some subtle updates. Very nice.

  5. Looking good Ron. I like the use of the washes.

  6. I prefer the old Mrk I land raiders, to be honest. Also, I'm a big, big fan of your "dirty style" of painting. This post is win-win for me.

  7. so do these things ever come up for sale? I missed these when they were sold in bulk as well! Maybe you should just add me to the next barter bucket as wanting a complete kit!

  8. Looks great Ron, as always, are you going to run that as a straight up LR "counts as" or will it have some home brew rules?

  9. Ghengis Vaughn: It will be a regualr LR, nothing fancy to it at all.

    I don't think I'll have any problems using it as long I I keep it simple, most people I play have never even seen one and some even ask what it is.


If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.