Once I finished painting the Vulkan conversion (click for larger view) I was working on, it was time to start on the banner. In this case, I ordered some plastic Sergeant banner bits from The War Store and I'm waiting for them to arrive. Usually, I'll make my own with cardstock but I've found that the smaller banners look better on plastic bits.
Sure, they're a little harder to do since I have to paint the image onto a less than flat surface but the end result is worth it.
Like all things, I sketched out a couple ideas and sent them to my friend for his approval.
The trick is to match the imagery and the colors with the rest of the force. Each guys needs to be unique but still fit in overall.
The Commander on the jetbike is a different story though. His banner will be double sided and I'm making it from scratch.
While it doesn't look like much right now, it will be a flowing, double sided banner when I'm done with it. Hopefully...
I don't remember where I picked up this process, but I used it once before with great success in replacing the banners on an Epidemius model.
I've actually made a banner for a similar model way back when and I'm hoping the experience of the two projects will get me through this one. Shouldn't be too hard.
My Project Link: Space Marines Commission
Additional related links:
How to make banners from cardstock
How to make banners from cardstock (advanced)
Making banners: Beyond cardstock Part 1, Part 2