Salvaging a pair of MK1 Land Raiders

I picked these up way back when and I've been so busy since then that I never really got to working on them. That and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them either.
I was going to convert them but in the end I decided to go with the original look and do some simple "restoration" work on them.

The first thing I needed to do was fabricate some doors or at least cover up the openings on the sides of the chasis since I didn't have the original side hatches anymore. A little bit of plasticard with some bits did the trick. It definitely won't win any awards but it's enough to get by.

Next up were the weapons. I decided on keeping these as Godhammer pattern Land Raiders. Some spare Lascannons, a couple of 25mm round bases and a few spacers were all it took to get these built.

And the finished product...

It'll do the job and I think the conversions will be believeable once it's painted. I find people are really intrigued by these models when I set them on the tabletop since most players these days have yet to actually see these models in real life.

Once I get a chance to paint one up, I'll post pics to show you how they look. I'm interested in seeing how my Deathwing painting scheme works on vehicles.

Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!


  1. What a trip down memory lane! I lost my old Land Raider many many years ago. Nice to see someone still has some floating about! Do you remember where they Land Raider got it's name (fluffwise)? I think most people don't.

  2. It's named after the fellow that (re)discovered the STC for it I believe. Arkhan Land if memory serves me correct.

  3. These are looking great, you'll have a sweet pair o' vintage tanks on your hands with some awesome conversion work, kudos!

    I finished my MkI wreck from your terrain links, unfortunately I didn't have enough parts to make it a complete tank:

  4. Very kewl! Can't wait to see them when they are finished!

  5. Nice, clean conversion...

    Where do you get your plasticard from? I bought some at a hobby shop, but it seems like it's really expensive for what I got.

  6. Ace: I'm cheap so I get my "plasticard" from Walmart in the form of plastic yard sale signs.

  7. Have you already converted the front of the tanks to include an assault ramp? The original never had that. Ah... I used to have one of those - the lascannons were naf though. Are you going to have twin linked or singles as shown?

  8. Siph_Horridus: Nope, what you see is what it's going to be. I'm just doing enough to get the model "finished."
    I've got some commissions I'm working on now so this project doesn't see the light of day often and I'm trying to get it finished.

  9. It's not often that you get to see a truly old-school Land Raider; I can't wait to see how these look fully painted up!

  10. Ron,
    Well Done, gave me a nice trip down memory lane. Nearly enough to go through the boxes from moving that I know have some of my oldest figs in to find my two. although the horrible paint job I remember from my youth makes me decide not to. ;P

  11. I do love the MkI, I have 4 of these myself :)

  12. I love the look of the MK1. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, great job so far!

  13. classics! good on you for bringing them back to former glory

  14. Hi,

    by coincidence, while searching the web on information about my old 1988 MK 1 LRs, I found this blog. I still have the original package with 2 LRs ( 4 Lasca + 2 HB ) . Had never found the time to glue the pieces together and the package was stored in my cellar together with a predator tank and about 2.000 other minis since 1991 !

    Only recently, I started again to build up a SM Army , my own chapter - Imperial Templars - ( no , not just another sort of BT ) . So the two LR just came in handy.

    They'll get "adapted" with some BT and other parts to fit my todays needs :-).

    Hope the guys let me field the old stuff along with their new Razorbacks, Rhinos and LR Crusaders ;-)

    Good Luck

  15. Stefan: You shouldn't have any problems. Most people I run into have never even seen the models and the ones that have are old enough that they love seeing them used anyway.


If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.