Here he is, painted and ready for battle.
This guy, while just a single model, was a huge challenge for me... both modeling and painting.
The model is loaded with tons of detail and can quickly become overwhelming if you don't have a plan. The simple, non-standard color scheme (a great choice by my client) helps prevent that I think. I was hesitant at first, thinking the all red armour was the way to go but like I mentioned before, the more I painted, the better the model looked.
The real challenge was painting the mechanical arms. With this guy being one of the Senior Techmarines in a force, I wanted something that conveyed that. The painting had to bring all the conversion work together. I went for a weathered and highly used look to the arms. I made sure to add "grime and oil" to the areas I thought it would collect it. Not so much that he looked to be in a state of disrepair but enough that you know this guy means business and he doesn't sit around all day polishing gun barrels.
With the arms being such a big part to the model, I wanted to give them as much attention as possible. It was a bunch of little touches to the metal like going all out with the heat effects on the plasma tips. From black through brown and into a blue tint. Other things like small areas of rust, dirt and scratches also helped bring them to life and make the model look like a complete piece instead of a Techmarine model with some different, out of place arms "added on."
Project Link: Follow my Techmarine project