With a solution, I set out to mock up the complete model. It has a good scale, everything fits together, doesn't seem to be any problems... this is going way too easy.
Oh, that's right, all I did was tack everything in place temporarily.
So what exactly was I looking at having to do?
1. Resculpt the Skulltaker's neck to make him appear to be looking a little more forward.
2. Rebuild the floor of the chariot with a recessed opening for the 25mm base the Skulltaker is on to sit inside comfortably.
3. Fill in the joints around the flesh hounds parts and resculpt one of the necks to turn it's head slightly to the side so the model flows visually.
4. Scratchbuild the chariot body and attach the spiked wheel guards.
5. Scratchbuild the yoke and flesh hound harnesses.
Here's the hound that had the most work done to him. It might not seem like much, but it the end, it's worth it to take the extra time and fill in gaps and adjust the model so it works perfectly with the rest of the pieces.
And here's one painted up. The whole piece was done in the classic colors and I used the same ones throughout to tie everything together. There's some purple in the Skulltaker and so on, that way the whole thing looks like one piece.
These guys stayed on 25mm bases until they were ready to go on the final base so I had a way to hold onto them without damaging them. All I did was snap off the 25mm base and drop them into slots cut into the larger base when it came time to transfer them over.
And what respectable follower of Khorne would be caught dead without spikes coming from the wheels of his chariot. As if I was even going to think about not doing this. And spikes on the fenders is trendy, all the cool people are doing it.
Actually these few bits really help with completing the model and making it all look convincing. I didn't add spikes everywhere, just the very front of the model and the very back. That way your eye travels all the way down the model and you've got a starting and an end point. Thrown in the curve made by the flesh hounds (with that extra bit by turning the hound's head slightly) and you've got a nice movement to the model as well.
Project Link: Follow my Skulltaker project