Black Templar Tactical and Scout squads done


I spent this weekend finishing off some Black Templars as part of one of my larger commissions I've got this summer. With two days of work, I was able to finish off 2 Attack bikes, 12 Initiates, 4 Neophytes and an Apothecary.


When it comes to putting decals that have white in them over a dark surface (black armour for example), I make sure I paint the area the decal is going to go over with a light grey or white. This way, the white portions of the decal stay bright.


And here's the rest of the troops...



This along with the Terminators I did the other day, gets me about half way through the project. Now it's onto some bikes, a Land Raider and some more troops for a DIY Space Marine Chapter.


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!

12 comments:

  1. Great work. And the amount you can put out is impressive! If you don't mind my asking, how many hours a night do you paint? I wish I had your productivity!

    Love the black highlight. That's just 3 colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cawshis Clay: I painted most of Saturday and Sunday but I get sidetracked easily. During the week though, I might get an hour or two at most before bed.

    The highlight on the black is two colors. A dark grey and light blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome paint job. Solid and clean. Also like your converions with the Chaos Warrior heads. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn you can paint fast. They look good too. My life doesn't allow for much hobby time unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, how do you produce such a high output with such high quality? Do you ever sleep???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice results indeed. I like the freehand script around the decals that hide the fact that you're using decals.

    Also, where's the Apothecary you posted about?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wienas: Sorry about that, I got sidetracked and didn't snap any pictures of him yet.

    I'll see what I can do tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron, how do you apply a flat transfer to the rounded shoulder pads and make it looks seamless? When Iv tried applying number to my guard pads, they always leave little wrinkles that are obvious to me, so how do you do it over an even bigger surface like the SM shoulders?

    ReplyDelete
  9. King's Standard Bearer: First, I try and cut the decal as close to the edge of the actual image as possible. That and once I lay it on the shoulderpad, sometimes I'll make small relief cuts in key places to get rid of any folds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff as usual, Ron! I like the little touches such as the use of bionic parts on the arms of one of the marines - it really gives each figure a neat touch of individuality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. jabberjabber: Thanks, but I can't take credit for building them, they came to me like that... I just paint them.

    ReplyDelete

If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.