Land Raider Redeemer freehand tips

Here's how I went about putting the "freehand" on top of the Land Raider Redeemer I just finished for my latest commission.

The first step was to talk with the client and get a good idea of the kind of imagery he wanted on the top. After that, I sent him a few rough sketchs to make sure we were both on the same page with our ideas and to get his approval.

Then I redrew the rough sketch a little cleaner and to scale (there's only about 3 inches by 1 inch to work with). With that line drawing, I take a pencil and shade the back making cheap transfer paper.

I put the draiwng in place and use a ballpoint pen and trace the image leaving a faint pencil mark on the actual vehicle.

Then I take a small tip, permanent pen and redraw the image in place, making a corrections as needed.

My Project Link: Space Marines Commision

Additional FTW Painting links:
Decals: How to get that painted on look by Pit of the Oni
How to paint freehand icons by Ron Saikowski (FTW)

Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!


  1. That's very cool, I've never considered doing it like that.

  2. Nice tip for making the freehanding easier, it's something I've always struggled with.

    Looking forward to seeing the completed model, hope your commission is happy with it.

  3. Thanks for the tip Ron, im just about to embark on a project that needs detailed freehand painting (something that ive never tried before) and which i was very scared about! I'll give your technique a go, it looks like it makes it a lot easier!


  4. Thats a brilliant tip Ron, as Im going to be working on a Commissariat tank soon I may well see what space Iv got on it to do some freehand. always something iv liked the look of!

    Craig @ cadian8th

  5. Thanks guys, I'll have some finished pics of the whole thing in the coming days (including the freehand work).

    I figured I would just show you all how I get to the finished result though.

  6. Excellent tip mate, just wondering if my painting skills are up to doing the nose art on my valkyrie.

  7. I'm hoping to get a Guard commission where I can do that. You Guard guys get to paint all the cool stuff on your vehicles.

  8. very nice, looks a heck of a lot easier than trying to draw straight on to the models. Then again the most complicated thing that I have drawn is free surface fluid motions. (not nearly as impressive as the name suggests)

    Thanks again for another great tip.

  9. Just some extra things:
    The pencil transfer line doesn't come out that well but it's just enough that you can see it to redraw it with the marker.

    That and you have to clip out your image right around the edge so that you can get it to lie as flat as possible on the top of the vehicle.

  10. The pencil drawing transfer is a brilliant idea to get a faint image on the vehicle to work with. Absolutely brilliant.

  11. Hey thats how I forge my mom's signature! =-/ Never thought I could do it on a Land Raider too! Genius!

  12. Great job, although this is where I fall down... I can't draw very well, I'm a fair painter (if I may say so myself although my camera is still on the fritz so the rest of you don't know it) tracing paper and a book full of artwork will have to do...


If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.