Land Raider Redeemer freehand tips




Here's how I went about putting the "freehand" on top of the Land Raider Redeemer I just finished for my latest commission.

The first step was to talk with the client and get a good idea of the kind of imagery he wanted on the top. After that, I sent him a few rough sketchs to make sure we were both on the same page with our ideas and to get his approval.

Then I redrew the rough sketch a little cleaner and to scale (there's only about 3 inches by 1 inch to work with). With that line drawing, I take a pencil and shade the back making cheap transfer paper.

I put the draiwng in place and use a ballpoint pen and trace the image leaving a faint pencil mark on the actual vehicle.

Then I take a small tip, permanent pen and redraw the image in place, making a corrections as needed.

My Project Link: Space Marines Commision

Additional FTW Painting links:
Decals: How to get that painted on look by Pit of the Oni
How to paint freehand icons by Ron Saikowski (FTW)


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!