I struggle with my blog, who doesn't?

I really should say thanks to all you readers for suffering through the constant changes FTW goes through on a near daily basis.

I know I can't be the only one who sees another blog feature and thinks, "Man, that's great... I should get that on my blog." I'm constantly on the hunt for "widgets" that will help organize the FTW site and make it better. It seems like I'm always moving stuff around to get the most out of each element.

Then there's the trial and error of trying to implement the new stuff and making sure it works and wondering if it's even the right thing to have...

I forget how many "templates" I've gone through already.

It can be a struggle sometimes.

With this latest go around, I've moved my personal work to the left column and brought the FTW Blogger List to the top in middle. I don't know about you guys, but that's the big thing for me... seeing what everyone else is up to.

I also combined all the comments and most previous posts into a tabbed section so you can look at either one quickly. While it doesn't have all the cool pictures like the last version did, it's automated so that I can spend my time adding content instead of maintaining the site.

I think I'm getting there.
I'm happy with the color scheme right now. The layout will continue to adapt to what the FTW is attempting to do. I try to keep the fat trimmed off and the content easy to find and get to.

My main goal with the front page is to make it so that you all can glance at it and not have to scroll down to get all the latest info and see what's new on FTW. But all of this comes at a price. I will readily admit that I don't comment as near as much as I should on other's blogs or as much as I would really like to. Even with the automating, there is still a constant flow of repair work to attend to. I could use about a dozen servitors.

I do appreciate the feedack I get from you guys, the comments and emails suggesting things or telling me what you think are great. It's much appreciated.

So bear with me, as FTW continues to grow in popularity, there's lots more coming.

UPDATE: This post is fairly old and FTW has since experienced a number of changes. Sometimes it's nice to look back at where you came from and where you're going.

Additional related links:
FTW Blogger Group, for what?
FTW, the first year in review
Blog struggles, among other things by Exponent Wargames


Ron, From the WarpIf you've got any questions about something in this post, shoot me a comment and I'll be glad to answer. Make sure to share your hobby tips and thoughts in the comments below!

15 comments:

  1. I have to say I really like the new layout, having the blog-roll high up the way you do is brilliant as I'm discovering new blogs every time I come by.

    Keep up the good work, I know it is really really appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, and no need to apologize. :D

    BTW... I love the current layout and I'm sure any future changes will be just as great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are doing a great job Ron. I too really like the new layout, and everything that this blog does for the community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I thought the new layout was a little odd to be honest. But, then after thinking about I realized what you were up to and it made perfect sense! Keep up the great work on this blog, you are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first the layout was a bit weird, but after reading a few more posts from you, I already got used to it. I think the layout is great, I wish I could do that to my blog too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys.
    Like I mentioned, I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to improve what we've got here. Making it easier to read and more accessable is better for all of us in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its an interesting change I'm sure it will grow on me :)

    Like you I'm constantly seeing blogs I want to emulate. Hell, yours is one of them! I have devised a technique for not messing with my blog though - and thats not having the skill or knowledge to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new layout is great, even if it's a bit different when you first see it. On a side note, you have to scroll on 1024 wide resolutions to see everything, but really thats minor.

    Thanks for everything Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love what you've done with the site as of late and I won't lie when I say all of the updates you have been doing inspired me to give Terran Forge that huge overhaul that I did. If you ever need an extra hand with stuff on the site (organizing, layout, whatever) let me know as I should have a lot of free time this summer (yay for unemployment! :( )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate having a nice, large Blogroll to look at.

    the new layout is taking a little bit of getting used to. I think I still prefer current blog in the center, blogroll to the right.

    Don't be afraid to tinker, and try things. else you get caught in:
    "you can't go if you don't know, and you can't know if you don't go." kind of stalemates.


    We at back 40K get criticism every now and again about having a brown background with black writing, and get told to do either black on white or white on black.

    The 3 of us that contribute kinda like being different. Besides, we like the brown background, we think it makes us stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The layout is good and unique, which makes it stand out more. I'd suggest never to be afraid to have a go and tweak things. The blog doesn't own you - you own the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is an interesting layout. One of these days Ill get motivated enough to tinker with my layout... Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the blog works like this, especially with the prominent placement of the blogroll. One of the best things on this blog (outside of your work) is the impressive blogroll. I start my searches here and almost all of the blogs I have since started looking at I found from your blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel your pain. I try to post once a week, but even that can be hard sometimes, I still read everyone else's blogs I just don't get mine updated like I wish I could. There's just to much going on sometimes.

    As for your layout, I like the new one. You can see the Blogger list right away and check for new posts, which is the biggest reason I wanted to to join, to share what I do with everyone else.

    Your doing a great job Ron, and no matter how often you change the layout, or post/don't post FTW has earned it's place in the Community. Just keep doing what your doing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to think that each change or each little modification, brings FTW one step closer to doing what I want it do as best as possible.
    Time will tell I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

If you've got a relevant tip, trick or link, make sure to include it in your comment for the rest of us to check out!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.